Herb Thomas & Associates
We provide results in a way that inspires and maintains trust.

Guardianships of the Estate

What is a Guardianship of the Estate?


In most situations, California law requires that all minors who are not emancipated have an adult who is responsible for their well-being. Guardians are appointed if a child's parents are not able to care for him or her. A judge, through a court order, is the only entity who can appoint a guardian.

In California, there are two types of guardianships for minors: guardianship of the person and guardianship of the estate.

A guardianship of a minor's estate is necessary if a child becomes an insurance beneficiary, or inherits money, investment accounts, or real estate. At Herb Thomas and Associates, we serve as estate guardians.

If you find you have a family member or client who needs an experienced guardian to administer the complex or extensive estate of a minor, please contact our office.